Click Here To Call Now

Pittsburgh: 412-906-8102

Toll Free: 800-440-5297

Medical Malpractice Verdicts

At Rosen Louik & Perry, our knowledge of medical malpractice law is real world application. We have vast experience fighting and winning medical malpractice cases in Pittsburgh, PA and Western Pennsylvania and beyond. Below are a few samples of malpractice cases we have won or settled over the years. If you or a loved one may have been a victim of medical malpractice, then please contact us.

Patient Dies from Complications After Feeding Tube is Reinserted Incorrectly

A doctor attempted to reinsert a dislodged gastronomy feeding tube (G-tube), but the client began experiencing immediate pain as a result. An x-ray was performed and gastrografin was injected into the G-tube to make the x-ray visible. The doctor determined that the x-ray was negative and decided that nothing was wrong with the reinserted G-tube. Our client was later taken to a different hospital, where doctor's determined that the G-tube was reinserted incorrectly. Our client had developed severe sepsis as a result of a buildup of gastrografin his abdominal cavity. Following emergency surgery, the client's condition worsened as he developed multi-stem organ failure with disseminated intravascular coagulation, adult respiratory distress syndrome, and acute tubular necrosis. Life support was withdrawn given the client's grave prognosis resulting in the client's death. The case settled for $1,000,000.00.

Improperly Placed Gastronomy Tube Leads to Severe Health Conditions

Our client needed his percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy tube (PEG tube) replaced. A new PEG tube was improperly placed in the client's peritoneal cavity rather than his stomach, causing extensive peritonitis and free air. A second operation was needed to correct the misplaced PEG tube. As a result of the doctor's negligence in misplacing the tube, the client developed numerous, severe health conditions including, MRSA, VRE of his G tube, multiple episodes of C. Diff, chronic constipation, tube feeding, aphagia, and malnutrition. The case settled for $750,000.00.

Still Birth Occurs After Failure to Monitor Antibody Results in Blood Disorder

Our client suffered a still birth due to a failure to monitor the anti-E antibody titer resulting in hemolytic disease, a rare blood disorder of the newborn. Appropriate monitoring would have prevented this problem. The case settled for $900,000.00.

Failure to Diagnosis Bilateral Compartment Syndrome Leads to Amputation of Left Leg

Following surgery to repair our minor-client's coronary artery and replace his aortic valve, doctor's determined that the minor-client was suffering from marginal cardiac output with significant signs of low output, post-operative renal failure, pancreatitis, vascular compartment syndrome to both legs, and significant thrombocytopenia. The minor-client began experiencing tenderness in both calves. Soon thereafter, it was discovered that the minor-client had an occluded right external iliac artery. A thrombectomy was performed on the artery and extensive fasciotomies on the muscles. The minor-client was transferred to a different hospital where he was treated for bilateral compartment syndrome in his legs. Given the tenderness of the minor-client's legs in conjunction with his subsequent health conditions post-operative, had the minor-client's doctors noticed the poor circulation to the minor-client's legs, the amputation of his left leg below the knee could have been avoided. The case settled for $4,750,000.00.

Anesthesia Error Leads to Comatose State and Life Support Being Withdrawn

Soon after undergoing a kidney transplant, our client began experiencing pain when coughing and when short of breath. It was later discovered that our client was administered an excessive amount of Propofol during intubation. The client remained in a comatose state until life support was withdrawn a few weeks later resulting in his death. The case settled for $1,789,000.00.

Medical Negligence Results in Extravasation as Patient Receives Treatment for Hypocalcemia

Our client was admitted to the Hospital for a kidney transplant. Preliminary tests revealed that the client was suffering from a condition known as hypocalcemia, a calcium deficiency in the blood. Calcium chloride was administered to our client. Calcium chloride can only be safely administered into a large-bore catheter located within a central vein such as the internal jugular or subclavian. The nurse, however, administered the calcium chloride to the client through a peripheral IV in his left hand. The client suffered extravasation, meaning the calcium chloride leaked into the subcutaneous tissue of the client's left hand, causing serious injuries. The case settled for $65,000.00

Neuralgia/Neuritis Diagnosed After Surgical Errors Occur During Treatment for Plantar Fasciitis

Our client was suffering from plantar fasciitis on her left heel. After conservative treatment including injection therapy, strapping, padding, night splints, and other exercises proved unsuccessful, surgery was performed. The client continued to experience pain, tingling, burning, periods of numbness, and a bruised feeling on her foot post-operative. Second and third opinions were sought. A second surgery was required to correct damage inflicted from the first surgery. The client developed signs and symptoms consistent with nociceptive pain and neuropathic pain, disorders consistent with a complex regional pain syndrome.  The client was also diagnosed with neuralgia/neuritis of the left foot as a result of the negligent performance of the first surgery. The case settled for $925,000.00.

Brain Damage Occurs When Patient Goes Into Cardiac Arrest During Plastic Surgery

Our elderly client was to undergo an elective eyelid surgery to relieve his bilateral ptosis, or drooping of the eyelids. Prior to surgery, the client had a known history of advanced heart disease.  He was placed on a biventricular dual-chamber defibrillator (ICD) 10 months before the proposed eyelid surgery, and his left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) was between 15 and 20% just 2 months before the surgery, which is severely abnormal.  Nonetheless, the client was cleared for the eyelid surgery despite not being a suitable candidate. During the eyelid surgery, the client went into cardiac arrest, resulting in a comatose state of the client. He was later declared brain dead and life support was removed. The case settled for $350,000.00

Continued Morphine Administration Leaves Patient with Severe Mental & Neurological Problems

Oxygen and morphine were administered to our client following a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy. Later that same night, the client was found to be tachycardic with a blood pressure of 91/50. The client continued to receive morphine up to 8mg per hour. Early the next morning, the client was unresponsive and severely hypoxemic. She was resuscitated and life-flighted to a nearby hospital. The client suffered a severe hypoxic-anoxic encephalopathy as well as other severe, permanent mental and neurological problems as a result of the continued morphine administration. The case was settled for $3,000,000.00.

Failure to Diagnose Cancer Leads to Death of Patient

Our client was experiencing pain and soreness on the left side of his throat. The doctor reading the client's CT scan misinterpreted the images, which lead to improper treatment.  Fifteen months later, our client's pain had only gotten worse. A second doctor performed a second CT scan revealing a large mass. Through a biopsy, the mass was determined to be invasive squamous cell carcinoma. A PET scan was performed showing an extensive left-sided tumor extending from the nasopharynx to the larynx lateral oropharynx and metastatic disease to the left zones 2-4 lymph nodes. The client's disease was ruled Stage IV Squamous Cell Cancer. The client eventually succumbed to the disease due to its advanced stage despite radiation and chemotherapy treatments, a composite resection of the left tonsil and base of the tongue, left modified radical neck dissection, excision of left soft palate and uvula, excision of the lateral base of the tongue and lateral floor of the mouth as a result of the doctors failure to diagnose. The case was settled for $1,700,000.00.

Child Has Five Surgeries for Compartment Syndrome After Nurse Fails to Inject Medicine Properly

Our two-year-old client almost lost his left leg when a nurse administering an intramuscular dose of Bicillin his left medial thigh did not first pull back the plunger before injecting the medicine. The client went on to have a compartment syndrome of his left calf due to the bolus of Bicillin injected requiring an emergency fasciotomy. The client had a total of five surgeries on his left leg as a result of the compartment syndrome. He also underwent physical therapy. The case settled for $900,000.00

Doctors Fail to Diagnose Lung Cancer After Chest X-Ray

Our client was required, as a condition of his employment, to undergo a yearly physical examination including a chest x-ray. The client was given an x-ray and a doctor interpreted the imaging to show a small area of increased density in the left lung - probably benign. Nothing further was done and the client was not notified of the results. The following year during his physical, an x-ray revealed a left upper lobe mass. An enhanced CT scan displayed a left pulmonary lesion that could not be ruled benign or malignant. A biopsy was performed and the client was eventually diagnosed with Stage IIIB, T-4, N-3, non-small lung carcinoma. Radiation and chemotherapy has been ineffective due to the advanced stage of the cancer. The case settled for $3,750,000.00.

Excessive Chemotherapy Leads to Settlement due to Heightened Risk of Cardiotoxicity
A discovery of a lump in the patient's right axilla led to a diagnosis of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in this case. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer that originates in your lymphatic system, the disease-fighting network, and then spreads throughout your body. In non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, tumors develop from lymphocytes - a type of white blood cell. The doctor, in question, breached the standard of care by continuing the client's CHOP chemotherapy, the most common chemotherapy regimen for treating this type of cancer, beyond eight cycles. By the end of those eight cycles, the patient's tumor had either gone into remission or become refractory to these agents. In our expert doctor's view, use of CHOP beyond eight cycles was unlikely to benefit the patient and needlessly heightened the risk of the cardiotoxicity. The patient had suffered no damages as of the time of settlement. The case settled for $200,000.00.

Resection of Mediastinal Mass Results in Transected Artery and Dissected Brachial Plexus
The client was scheduled for resection of a benign anterior mediastinal mass. The client was taken to the operating room where a doctor attempted to perform a thoracoscopic procedure. During the procedure, apparently, the doctor believed that he was incising what appeared to be a mass but when the first section was sent to pathology it was reported as containing a portion of nerve while the second portion that was removed was reported as containing a major artery. Another doctor explored the surgical area and found that the lower trunk of the brachial plexus had been dissected. Another different doctor explored the area and found that the left subclavian and axillary artery had been transected. The client suffered a devastating injury to his arm and the case settled for $1,900,000.00.

Patient Suffers Second Heart Attack After Doctors Misdiagnose Myocardial Ischemia
The client suffered from acute myocardial ischemia, which is a heart condition caused by a temporary lack of oxygen-rich blood to the heart. The client was admitted to the hospital with acute chest pain prior to being diagnosed with acute myocardial ischemia. The doctor observed the client for 23 hours to "rule-out" myocardial infarction. Serial EKGs and cardiac enzymes were normal, and the patient was discharged from the hospital without undergoing pre-discharge exercise stress testing. The standard of care may have required the performance of an exercise stress test before sending a patient like this client home. Had such testing been performed, it would likely have revealed symptomatic coronary disease. This would have led to bypass surgery. The client suffered a second myocardial attack following discharge. The case settled for $525,000.00.

Inadequate Evaluation of Transient Ischemic Attack Leads to Major Stroke
This client was on Coumadin for chronic atrial fibrillation, and was in the first several hours of a transient ischemic attack (TIA), which is an episode in which a person has stroke-like symptoms for less than 24 hours, usually less than 1-2 hours. Client experienced the episode and went to the doctor's office receiving inadequate evaluation and treatment for TIA, and was sent home. Later that evening, the client suffered a major stroke. The stroke affected the dominant hemisphere and the client experienced frequent left residual right arm paralysis and right leg weakness. The case settled for $550,000.00.

Delayed Colonoscopy Allows Colon Cancer to Metastasize
This case involved the failure to perform screening procedures that would have allowed the earlier diagnosis of colon cancer. At age 60, the client was not offered a screening colonoscopy as recommended by nearly all scholars. The client had a colonoscopy three years later and was diagnosed with colon cancer. By the time the diagnosis was made, the client's cancer had metastasized to the liver. A trial jury found in favor of the client and awarded $3,625,000.00 in damages. The client's wife was awarded $2,000,000.00 on her claim for loss of consortium.

Neurosurgeon Removes Too Much Brain Tissue Leaving Young Girl in Vegetative State
This young girl went into a persistent vegetative state after a neurosurgeon performed a two-staged resection of a pilocytic astrocytoma, a brain tumor that occurs predominantly in children and involves the midline, basal, and posterior fossa structures. It is, in general, considered a benign and very treatable tumor of childhood. This tumor was located within the client's thalamus. Following the second stage of this surgery, the client did not awaken, and it was determined that the surgeon had mistakenly removed extensive tissue from the child's midbrain and pons. This case settled, after six days of trial, for $8,000,000.00.

Doctors Fail to Diagnose Breast Cancer Resulting in Death
In this case, a doctor failed to diagnose breast cancer in our client. By the time of diagnosis, the client had metastatic disease, a disease that has broken outside of the primary tumor and has traveled elsewhere. Radiation and chemotherapy are given in order to eradicate and cure cancer upon early detection before it spreads elsewhere in the body. The important issue in this case was whether the breast cancer was metastatic when it could, and should, have been detected. Due to the failure to diagnose earlier, our client had no chance of beating her disease. The defendants disagreed arguing that the patient would not have benefited from earlier diagnosis. After an eight-day trial, the jury awarded the client $12,800,000.00.

Breast Cancer Diagnosis Delayed 5 Years Due to Doctor Not Following Protocol
If, on a self-breast exam, a client has noted an abnormality in one breast and her doctor feels that breast and determines that there is a thickening the doctor is obligated to do special imaging studies. A screening mammogram is not enough. The doctor must do compression films as well as an ultrasound in order to determine what makes up the thickening. If still not conclusive, the doctor can do fine needle aspiration which for all intents and purposes is a non-invasive, non-destructive kind of test that provides a pathologic, or tissue, diagnosis. The physicians in this case did not follow these proven standards of care. Our client experienced a five-year delay in the diagnoses and treatment of a breast cancer lump, which was not properly diagnosed until it had spread to the liver. The case was settled for $950,000.00.

Lumbar Spine Surgery Causes Dural Tear and Cauda Equina
Our client went to the doctor complaining of back pain and was diagnosed with a disc herniation. Lumbar spine surgery came next for the client. The surgery did not go well and she suffered a dural tear. Creating a tear in the dura was, in our expert doctor's opinion, a known complication of lumbar spine surgery and does not itself constitute negligence. However, the client suffered more than a dural tear-the pattern of neurological impairment seen following the client's surgery denotes injury to the client's cauda equina. This client now suffers from cauda equina syndrome, which is caused by significant narrowing of the spinal canal that compresses the nerve roots below the level of the spinal cord. Cerebrospinal fluid cushions the nerves, and they become susceptible to injury when this cushioning fluid is lost and the nerves are placed under tension. Such an injury is not an acceptable complication of lumbar disc surgery. Our expert doctor believed the client's cauda equina was injured when the doctor in question retracted the thecal sac to expose the disc herniation. The defendant doctor strongly disagreed and contested liability. The case settled for $475,000.00.

Failure to Treat Hypertension and Hyperlipidemia Lead to Coronary Artery Disease
Potential delay of nine years in diagnosis of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, which is scar tissue that forms in areas of the kidney that filter certain things out of the body. These areas of the kidney are called glomeruli. They help the body get rid of harmful or unnecessary substances. Each kidney has thousands of glomeruli. "Focal" means that some of the glomeruli become scarred, while others remain normal. Kidney disease often leads to hypertension and deranged blood lipid profiles. Both are well-recognized risk factors for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Our expert doctor opined that the doctor in question and associates' failure to properly treat the client's hypertension and hyperlipidemia contributed to the client's premature coronary artery disease. The client's underlying glomerulosclerosis caused the client's hypertension and lipid disorder. Had the client's renal dysfunction been appropriately managed, it is probable that the client would never have developed hypertension and/or an abnormal lipid profile. The case was settled for $750,000.00.

Patient Suffers Malignant Hypothermia during Surgery
The client was taken to the operating room for a septoplasty and a left ethmoidectomy, a procedure to rid the client of chronic sinus infections. The client had a history of sinusitis, which had been refractory, or resistant, to medical management. During the course of the operative procedure, the client developed problems, which caused the doctor to wonder whether or not he had malignant hypothermia. It was later determined during that hospitalization that the client suffered from a traumatically induced subarachnoid hemorrhage. The doctor being sued deviated from accepted standards of care in his surgical management of this patient. Once the doctor realized that surgical problems had occurred, which the doctor had caused, the patient was sent to a different hospital for neurosurgical evaluation and care. Work-up at that hospital revealed that the client had a traumatic defect of the anterior skull base. The client still suffers from disabilities. The case was settled for $650,000.00.

Patient Dies After Doctors Fail to Treat Post-Surgery Symptoms
This retired client suffered from a thyroid condition. She had a procedure done called a left thyroid lobectomy. Post surgery, client's condition deteriorated and she experienced signs and symptoms of airway compression which included, but were not limited to, dyspnea, difficulty swallowing, difficulty speaking and increased neck swelling. The presence of a hematoma within the tissues of the client's neck, which was compressing and causing partial obstruction of the trachea and/or esophagus, was the cause of the client's deteriorating condition. If timely recognized this condition can be cured causing no long-term problems. As the client's condition worsened, the doctor and nurses in charge of post-operative care ignored the client's condition and the client tragically went into cardiac arrest and died. The case settled for $950,000.00.

Doctor Fails to Administer Clotting Factors to Patient with Hemophilia during Colonoscopy
The use of pre-colonoscopy clotting factors in patients with hemophilia or von Willebrand's disease was the primary issue in this case. Our expert doctor opined that the client's gastroenterologist improperly treated the client during a colonoscopy. The doctor in question should have been administering drugs or clotting factors to minimize the risk of bleeding. Our doctor emphasized that it is imprudent to biopsy body sites that cannot be compressed directly (to stop bleeding) unless one first gives the appropriate clotting factors. The failure to administer pre-colonoscopy clotting factors before the client's colonoscopy departed from accepted standards of medical care. This failure resulted in a second surgical procedure and a ten day hospitalization. This case was settled for $150,000.00.

Delayed Radiological Findings Cause Appendix Perforation
A delay in the diagnosis of appendicitis led to a perforation, which led to peritonitis, an inflammation (irritation) of the peritoneum, the tissue that lines the wall of the abdomen and covers the abdominal organs. Our expert doctor was of the strong belief that the discrepancy in the radiologic findings should not have been floating in the hospital for four days. The communication error directly caused the four-day delay and the problems described. This case was settled for $725,000.00.

Vaginal Reconstruction of Irradiated Tissue Results in Permanent Colostomy and Urostomy
Twenty years after successfully beating childhood cancer, this young lady sought to have vaginal reconstruction of the areas that were treated and removed in order to eradicate her cancer. The plastic surgeon attempted surgery on irradiated tissue, (tissue previously exposed to radiation) an act that should never be done. In addition to causing additional damage, the surgeon also sentenced this woman to a permanent colostomy and urostomy. This case settled for $ 3,760,000.00

Patient Suffers Still Birth Due to Two-Vessel Cord
The client suffered a still birth due to the failure to monitor and treat a two-vessel cord. An expedited delivery, if appropriate monitoring had been carried out, would have saved the child. This case settled for $230,000.00.

Recovering Patient Suffers Neurological Damage
The client had an unrecognized epidural hematoma while in the hospital recovering from surgery. Due to a delay in its recognition, the client suffered neurological damage, which may be permanent. The case was settled for $750,000.00.

Elderly Patient in Shock Dies after Doctors Fail to Properly Monitor Condition
This elderly client was in shock due to a loss of blood from a bleeding ulcer in the stomach and was therefrom admitted into the hospital. The client had complications of gastric hemorrhage and prolonged shock. The hospital team, working on the client, neglected to monitor the client's well being during hospitalization, resulting in his death. This case settled for $730,000.00.

Mistreated Shotgun Wound to the Face Results in Permanent Blindness
The client was involved in a hunting accident and sustained a shotgun wound to the right face, right neck and shoulder. Review of a CT scan revealed 5 to 6 pellets located intracranially via an entrance from the right side of the client's head. Most of the pellets intracranially were toward the midline of the brain on the left side of the head in the frontal area. The client came under the care of an ophthalmologist for shotgun wounds but was mistreated, thereby causing a rupture of the choroid of the right eye causing macular blindness. The specific diagnosis was choroidal rupture with extensive fibrous material overlying the inferotemporal macular region. The client is permanently blind in the right eye and also suffers from depression as well as loss of sleep and short-term memory loss. The case was settled for $275,000.00, policy limits plus private payment.

Podiatrist Causes Permanent Deformity in Patient's Foot
This case involves professional negligence from a surgical error by a podiatrist. The principal injuries the client sustained as a result of a doctor's negligence include permanent deformity of a shortened, flailed, floppy second toe, transfer problems and recurrence of a bunion deformity. This case was settled for $150,000.00.

Patient's Aneurysm Goes Untreated and Ruptures Resulting in Death
The client was admitted to the hospital complaining of severe right groin pain. At the time of the admittance, the client had a known history of an enlarging aortic aneurysm. This known aneurysm or a urologic complication were the obvious differential diagnoses for the client's pain. A consulting urologist examined the client and ruled out a urologic problem. Inexplicably, a vascular surgeon did not examine the client at any time during admittance and the aneurysm, known to be expanding, was not evaluated. While under the care of the doctors in question, the client's known aneurysm was allowed to rupture, and this 70 year old man died. This case settled for $650,000.00.

Hair Restoration Doctor Leaves Patient with Mangled Appearance
The Plaintiff in this case was a 27 year old professional experiencing premature male pattern baldness. He saw a television commercial promoting a hair restoration procedure developed by Dominic A. Brandy, M.D. The client scheduled a consultation with Dr. Brandy and was promised a full and natural looking head of hair in just three procedures. Based on those assurances, the client agreed to undergo the procedures. The surgeries failed miserably and the client was left with an appearance worse than baldness. Dr. Brandy refused to accept responsibility and made no offer to settle the case. After a seven day trial, a jury returned a verdict of $503,857.00 This verdict received national media coverage, including a feature story on Court TV who reported that this was the first verdict in the country against a plastic surgeon for an elective procedure.

Thoracic Surgeon Refuses to Treat Patient with Severe Symptoms
As the thoracic surgeon managing this case over the long term, the surgeon was in the best position to appreciate the potential for compounding complications of the mediastinal infection suffered by the client. Instead of seeing this client based on complaints of spinal problems, the surgeon sent the patient to an emergency room doctor. The less than acceptable nature of the emergency medicine doctor's evaluation delayed proper diagnosis and treatment. With the client's second plea to the attending thoracic surgeon, the client was again rejected, being sent for a useless test, rather than being seen by the thoracic surgeon with first-hand knowledge of the case. The patient was also not referred to a thoughtful spinal surgeon. With this strategy of putting the client off, not once but twice, the doctor failed the patient and was the principal reason that diagnosis was delayed beyond the time that surgical intervention would have been beneficial. There is no question that earlier diagnosis would have afforded this client a very substantial opportunity for successful surgical intervention. Good care is not the ordering of tests rather than seeing the client; especially a client reporting such alarming symptoms. This case was settled for $400,000.00.

Dentist Removes Molar against Patient's Will Resulting in Loss of Taste
An aggressive dentist performed a bilateral third molar extraction with extreme force over the verbal cries from the patient to stop. The improper technique resulted in bilateral lingual nerve dysfunction causing the patient to lose 80% of her ability to taste. This case settled for $500,000.00.

Doctors Mistreat Cancer Resulting in Colostomy for 15 Months until Patient Dies
Our client was admitted to the hospital as a result of rectal bleeding, rectal pain and changes in her bowel habits. An exam revealed a rectal mass that was biopsied and interpreted by client's doctors as adenocarcinoma, a form of cancer that cannot be treated with radiation and/or chemotherapy. The client was informed that the only option of treatment was a colostomy. Following the colostomy, rectal tissue that had been removed was again sent for examination and was diagnosed as a squamous carcinoma, not adenocarcinoma. Because of the differing evaluations of the tissue, the original biopsy was reviewed. It was concluded that the first biopsy showed only squamous carcinoma and not adenocarcinoma. Only when radiation and chemotherapy fail is surgery a form of treatment for squamous cell carcinoma. This client would not have had to undergo the invasive surgery if doctors would have diagnosed the correct form of cancer originally. The client lived 15 months with a colostomy and then died from the cancer: Following a week-long trial, a jury awarded decedent's sons, $592,725.76.

Coumadin Anti-Coagulation Medicine Reaches Extreme Levels Causing Severe Stroke
This 83-year old client had an angioplasty procedure in the left leg due to developing ulcers on three of the toes. The client was placed on Coumadin to prevent blood clots, but the client's doctors failed to perform follow-up blood testing. Without laboratory monitoring, client progressed to a state of extreme anti-coagulation. As a result of client's doctors' failure to monitor blood work and Coumadin levels, client suffered a cerebellar hemorrhagic stroke from too high a dose of Coumadin. This case settled for $1,400,000.00, an amount in excess of insurance coverage.

Unnecessary Surgery Results in Death of Patient
This client died after her doctor performed several risky surgical operations that were not required and not necessary or relevant to treat the client. After presenting to the hospital with abdominal pain, client was diagnosed with reflux esophagitis and hiatal hernia. At the time, client had an Angel chick prothesis that had been inserted years earlier and was functioning successfully and properly. However, client's doctor removed this device to construct a Nissen fundoplication, and in doing so, perforated client's esophagus and stomach wall, rendering the client severely ill. After client's doctor performed another surgery to repair client's abdominal abscess and perforation, client began to exhibit symptoms indicating that the drainage had been inadequate and that client had developed an infection as a result. Nevertheless, client's doctor discharged client from the hospital. After client had to be re-admitted to the hospital, bizarrely, client's doctor decided to remove a part of client's stomach and ovaries, with no medical reason to do so. In the process, the doctor lacerated client's spleen and transected her common bile duct and hepatic artery. Client began to hemorrhage heavily and went in shock, and client's doctor failed to provide for immediate blood availability from a blood bank earlier. To restore blood, the doctor then utilized a "cell saver;" however, the blood the doctor retrieved and recycled back into the client was contaminated and as a result, client died a short time later. This case settled for $ 772,600.00.

Victim Left with Drop Foot after 2 Month Delay in Spinal Cord Compression Diagnosis
A delay in the diagnosis of a fracture of the 12th thoracic vertebra after the client fell from a ladder resulted in this medical malpractice case. The fracture caused compression of the spinal cord, and due to the 6-8 week delay in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of this condition, the client was left with a drop foot that would not have resulted from the initial fall. This case was settled for $850,000.00.

Doctor Ignores Symptoms of Brainstem Ischemia
The client was complaining of numbness and dizziness on admittance into the hospital. The doctor in question ignored neurological symptoms attributable to brainstem ischemia, which is a symptom of strokes. These symptoms should have been recognizable to the doctor. The delay caused unilateral weakness on the left side of client's body. This case was settled for $550,000.00.

Antibiotics Cause Total Loss of Balance in Patient with labyrinthitis
The client complained of an imbalance problem and had symptoms of an earache, dizziness, nausea and vertigo. The doctor diagnosed the client as suffering from labyrinthitis, which is an ear disorder that involves irritation and swelling of the inner ear, and prescribed an antiquated and outdated antibiotic. The antibiotic required frequent detailed assessment of the client's clinical condition. Visiting nurses and the home care pharmacy filling the prescriptions failed to appropriately follow the client, resulting in terrible side effects. The client was diagnosed with ototoxicity, which is damage to the ear specifically the cochlea, or auditory nerve and the vestibular system. The client lost all sense of balance as a result. A jury deliberated for three days before returning a verdict against the pharmacy in the amount of $975,000.00. The other defendants settled prior to verdict for $2,000,000.00.

Stage III Lung Cancer Goes Untreated for 15 Months Leading to Aggressive Chemotherapy Complications
This client presented to his physician with pain his rib cage and expressed concern over symptoms of lung cancer, as he had a family history of the disease. He was ordered to undergo a chest x-ray, which indeed revealed a lesion in his chest. However, a doctor interpreted the x-ray as negative. The client continued to suffer chest pain for several months, during which time his physician diagnosed client with musculoskeletal pain. After a fifteen month delay, a chest x-ray performed by a pulmonologist led to the diagnosis of stage III lung cancer that had been present since client's original presentation to his doctor. As a result of the delay in diagnosis and treatment, the client was forced to undergo aggressive chemotherapy and radiation and suffered complications as a result. This case settled for policy limits of $1,200,000.00.

Patient Overdoses on Anesthesia after Surgery
This elderly client was a patient at a hospital to undergo a surgical repair of a left tibial non-union. Following the surgery, client was administered patient controlled anesthesia using intravenous morphine. The client was found unresponsive 6 hours after of the treatment. Physicians ordered the client receive Narcan to reverse the effects of the client's stupor. The Narcan caused the client to suffer severe pain. Doctors then re-started the patient controlled anesthesia of morphine. The result was a medication overdose. As a result of this morphine overdose, the client went into respiratory arrest and suffered a severe anoxic brain injury. The client's brain death led to her removal from life support and ultimate expiration. This case was settled for $550,000.00.

Gynecologist Misdiagnoses Invasive Breast Cancer as Fibrocystic Tissue
This client in her mid-thirties felt a lump on her breast during a self breast exam and went to her gynecologist requesting a mammogram. After feeling the lump, the gynecologist informed the client that the lump was fibrocystic tissue and refused her mammogram request. Fifteen months later, the client was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. The doctor was sued for violating the standard of care by not obtaining a tissue diagnosis of the lump felt by patient. Defendants agreed both that the standard of care was not violated and that the delay made no difference in outcome. The case was settled for $900,000.00.

Patient Suffers Renal Failure after Fraternity Hazing
This client sustained serious injures when the client was hazed as part of the rush process for admittance into a fraternity. Client was repeatedly, and brutally, paddled by fraternity brothers. Due to the beating, the client was admitted to the hospital having been diagnosed as suffering from renal failure, hypertension and had experienced two seizures. Prior to the hazing, the client was completely asymptomatic for these conditions. This case was hotly contested as the fraternity argued it had no duty to monitor and prevent intentional acts of members. This case settled for $90,000.00 after Rosen Louik & Perry won legal issues on appeal.

Diabetic Dies from Insulin Deficiency after Hospital Neglects Symptoms
The client, a twenty-nine-year-old insulin-dependent diabetic, presented to the emergency room with head, neck and shoulder pain. After a physical examination, our client reported to a nurse that he had felt hot and nauseated during the exam and was having difficulty breathing; however the nurse failed to report these symptoms to a doctor and our client was discharged from the hospital. When the client returned to the emergency room the following day with the same symptoms, he was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition caused by insulin deficiency that is fatal if left untreated. The emergency room physician prescribed the client insulin. However, no insulin was ever given to the client and his blood sugar levels were never checked. As a result, the client's condition severely deteriorated and he ultimately died a short time later. This case settled for $825,000.00.

Delayed Prostate Cancer Diagnoses Results in Sexual Dysfunction
The physician in this case ordered routine blood-work including a prostate serum antigen (PSA). The PSA results were returned as markedly elevated but were ignored by the ordering physician. As a result, there was a three-year delay in diagnosing our client's prostate cancer. The cancer was removed and client was cancer free but suffered from the side effects of a radical prostatectomy, including sexual dysfunction. Statistically, the client had a better chance of preserving his sexual function if his cancer had been treated earlier. This case settled for $450,000.00.

Nurse Misses Port during Chemotherapy Causing Disfigurement
This 63-year old client was admitted into the hospital for chest pain, back pain, shortness of breath, ongoing night sweats and significant weight loss. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease. During the administration of chemotherapeutic drugs, a nurse missed the port used for infusion of the drugs. After infiltration, our client experienced severe pain and a burning sensation in the chest. Regrettably, the chemo infiltrated into her breast tissue causing severe loss of breast tissue. This caused horrible disfigurement of her breast. The case settled for $950,000.00.

Delayed Cervical Cancer Diagnosis Deprives Patient of Ability to have Children
The failure to diagnose cervical cancer rendered our client sterile at the age of 35 after a pathologist misread multiple years of pap smears. Had her pathologist been diligent, our client's pre-cancerous dysphasia would have been eradicated without the need for a hysterectomy. Although our client was ultimately cured of her cancer, she lost the ability to bear children. The case settled for $800,000.00.

Refusal to Operate on Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Results in Patient Death
Our client was diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. His doctors informed him that he did not require operation but would need to be monitored. However, his physician never arranged for follow-up testing and therefore he was deprived of monitoring. Our client suffered from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm, causing his eventual death. This case was settled for $500,000.00.

Patient Contracts CMV after Renal Transplantation
Our client was admitted to the hospital for renal (kidney) transplantation. After the client received the kidney, the client was diagnosed with a Cytomegalovirus (CMV), a form of herpes virus. This virus should have been identified and eradicated in pre-transplant screening. The client will now be a lifetime carrier of this disease. The case was settled for $225,000.00.

Misidentification of Pathology Slide Results in Unnecessary Surgery
Our client was a victim of a misidentified pathology slide at a hospital. The client was informed that she had breast cancer when, in fact, she did not. As a result, she had unnecessary surgery which fortunately did not result in significant disfigurement. It did result in unnecessary surgical procedures. This case was settled for $325,000.00.

Patient Requires Hip Replacement after Misdiagnosis of Avascular Necrosis
Our client suffered right groin pain after child birth and her doctors diagnosed the pain as a muscle strain. The doctor in question prescribed the client a muscle relaxer which did not relieve her pain. She went to a different doctor and was diagnosed with avascular necrosis, a disease resulting from the temporary or permanent loss of the blood supply to an area of bone. The doctor in question failed to diagnose the client with avascular necrosis and deprived the client of a substantial opportunity to preserve her native hip joint. The client required a hip replacement. The case settled for $650,000.00.

Pharmaceutical Distribution Errors Result internal Bleeding and Avoidable Splenectomy
Our client was diagnosed with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), a disease associated with a low platelet count and a predisposition to bleeding. When she was diagnosed with hypertension, her physician prescribed Cardura. However, instead of filling the prescription with Cardura as client's physician had requested, the pharmacist mistakenly substituted the oral anticoagulant Coumadin. For the next two weeks, our client unknowingly took the Coumadin accordance with the instructions on the bottle that accompanied the medication. This substitution of Coumadin for Cardura caused her to suffer internal bleeding and exacerbated her thrombocytopenia, requiring hospitalization. Upon her release, another error by the client's pharmacy caused her to receive only one tenth of the prescribed dosage of Prednisone that her physician ordered. As a result, she was forced to undergo an unnecessary splenectomy. The case settled for $110,000.00.

Young Girl Suffers Hypoxic Shock and Apnea after Accidental vecuronium Administration
Our client was a 5-year old female who presented to the emergency room with vomiting and diarrhea. Due to her dehydration, emergency room employees were ordered to administer fluids. While starting a new IV, a nurse attempted to flush the IV with a syringe believed to contain a pre-mixed saline solution. However, instead of saline, an excessive amount of vecuronium, a paralytic typically used to incapacitate a patient prior to intubation or surgery, was mistakenly administered to client. As a result, our client became cyanotic and could not breathe on her own. She ultimately suffered hypoxic shock and apnea but made a full recovery. This case settled for $220,000.00.

Doctor's Casual Attitude Results in Preventable Heart Attack
The client suffered from an acute myocardial infarction (complicated by ventricular fibrillation). Rosen Louik & Perry proved that the doctor's casual attitude resulted in a preventable heart attack. The case settled for $425,000.00.

Patient Dies after Excessive Coumadin Dosing
Our sixty-one year old client presented to the emergency room with chest pains and was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. He was released with medication prescribed to attempt to correct his sinus rhythm. During a follow-up visit, blood tests revealed that the client had high prothrombin levels. His doctor, however, did nothing to reduce the dosage of Coumadin that our client was originally prescribed. After receiving additional blood tests at a different facility, our client's doctor had stated via fax that he indeed wanted client's Coumadin dosage decreased. Despite having multiple means to reach client and the severe danger associated with client's high prothrombin levels, there was a three-day delay in the client's doctor's office informing him of this urgent change in his medication. The following day after finally being informed to decrease his Coumadin dosage, he became dizzy, had a severe headache and vomited. He arrived at the emergency room unconscious. He was subsequently diagnosed with a massive bleed in his brain and the family was informed that he would not survive. He died three days later as a result of bleeding from excessive Coumadin dosing. The case settled for $650,000.00.

Erroneous Administration of Cefotan to Allergic Patient Causes Death
During surgery to treat an abdominal wound abscess, our sixty-six year old client was administered the antibiotic Cefotan. She had an immediate allergic reaction to the drugs and suffered anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest while under anesthesia. Fortunately, client was resuscitated and the surgery was cancelled. She was released from the hospital with a note to reschedule her surgery and it was subsequently marked on the client's chart that she was allergic to the drug Cefotan and should never be administered the drug again. When client's surgery was rescheduled, client informed her doctor and anesthesiologists of her previous allergic reaction to Cefotan and was told the drug would not be administered. Nevertheless, Cefotan was in fact delivered by one of the anesthesiologists and client again suffered a cardiac arrest. Attempts to resuscitate the client failed and she died a short time thereafter. This case settled for $1,600,000.00.

Failed Biopsy Delays Treatment of Cancer
Our client had a biopsy of a soft tissue mass which was interpreted as a benign tumor. In fact, it was a low-grade fibrosarcoma. A CT scan five years later confirmed that client had developed metastatic disease which appeared in her lungs. As a result of this delay in treatment, she was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, which by definition is not curable. Had the client been properly diagnosed, her tumor would have been cured, she would have been disease free and would have had a normal life expectancy. This case settled for $1,000,000.00.

Patient Severely Disfigured After Radical Thoracotomy
The client in this case complained of mild discomfort in the left chest area. A CT scan revealed bilateral intrathoracic masses of both lungs. She underwent a thoracoscopic biopsy of the masses. It was determined that the masses were benign but needed to be removed. Our client was told that the masses could be removed by non-invasive surgery but nevertheless performed a radical Thoracotomy which resulted in severe disfigurement and the removal of several ribs. This case settled for $1,200,000.00.

Patient Develops Clot in Brachial Artery after Doctors Fail to Diagnose Subclavian Artery Aneurysm
The hospital team failed to diagnose and treat a right subclavian artery aneurysm in our client. The aneurysm was clearly shown on the angiogram but was missed by the reader. Because of this oversight, the client developed a blood clot in the right brachial artery and lost arm strength. The case settled for $437,500.00.

Doctors Misdiagnose Patient and Perform Needless Surgery
After a motor vehicle accident, our client suffered from frequent headaches. Her doctors diagnosed her with cluster headaches and performed microvascular decompression surgery. Rosen Louik & Perry presented powerful testimony that this surgery is not performed for cluster headaches and proved that our client did not have true cluster headaches. The case settled for $2,000,000.00.

Patient Dies After Doctors Fail To Treat Malignant Tumor
The client in this case was diagnosed with uterine cancer and underwent a hysterectomy to remove the cancer. A further analysis of the tissue after the surgery revealed that the cancer may have spread to her abdomen and she was referred to a gastroenterologist. After performing a colonoscopy, the gastroenterologist informed the client that her colon appeared normal. However, despite complaints of severe abdominal pain, her doctor never performed further tests of the upper gastrointestinal tract. After experiencing further severe pain. She was evaluated by a surgeon. Surgical intervention revealed a malignant tumor in her jejunum that eventually led to client's death a short time later. Although the delay was very short, the case settled for $487,500.00.

Needlessly Prolonged Labor Results in Severe Brain and Organ Injury to Child
This medical malpractice case arose out of severe injuries suffered by a newborn as a consequence of a prolonged, unnecessary labor induced by client's doctors and as a result of client's failing to perform a Cesarean section at an earlier time. It was predictable that the force and duration of contractions needed to produce an eventual vaginal delivery would subject client's child to inadequate oxygen and circulation, which could permanently injure the child. Defendants permitted these delays in spite of repetitive evidence that minor plaintiff was suffering severe distress as a consequence of an ineffective and prolonged labor. When the child was finally delivered, he was resuscitated vigorously at the time of his birth. However, the lack of oxygen to which he was subject during the labor resulted in multi-organ system failure for which he required critical care. The child suffered a severe brain injury as a result and remains gravely disabled, not being able to speak or stand on his own. This case settled for $ 2,900,000.00.

Trazodone Prescription Causes Patient to Develop Priapism
The client developed priapism, which is a potentially harmful and painful medical condition in which the erect penis does not return to its flaccid state. After four hours, irreversible damage can occur. The client's priapism resulted from a prescription of Trazodone which he had been prescribed for anxiety. The prescribing doctor never told the client to seek immediate medical care if priapism developed and then failed to immediately act when client called reporting an erection. This case settled for policy limits of $1,000,000.00 immediately before opening statements.

OB/GYN Fails to Properly Diagnose and Treat Breast Cancer Patient
Our client presented to her OB/GYN with a strong history of breast cancer and upon her discovery of a lump during a self-breast exam. The lump was palpated by her OB/GYN and she was told the lump was of no clinical significance. She had a mammogram which was interpreted as normal. Within months, after returning to her OB/GYN for a routine gynecological exam, her breast lump was again felt by her doctor and again she was assured it was not cancerous. She was diagnosed with cancer 15 months later. Rosen Louik & Perry proved that the radiologist had misinterpreted the original mammogram and that her OB/GYN was obligated to biopsy any palpable lump not explained as benign on a mammogram. The case settled for $1,125,000.00.

Man Permanently Disabled after Doctors Ignore Symptoms
Our client was admitted to the hospital with sharp pains in the chest, neck and shoulders. He was diagnosed with an acute myocardial infarction and sent home. As the condition of the client worsened, the spouse kept calling and discussing the symptoms with the doctors. The doctors told the spouse that this was expected and ignored the request for help by the spouse. The client ultimately collapsed. The client exhibited neurologic abnormalities consistent with anoxic brain damage and suffered multiple cardio-pulmonary arrests. The client will need lifetime medical assistance and cannot function independently. The case settled for $800,000.00.

Surgical Errors on Ulcerative Colitis Patient Lead to Death
Our client was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease that affects the large intestine and rectum. Also, during a surgical procedure to correct this, the surgeon failed to perform an ileostomy in order to protect client's anastomotic site from breaking down. During the procedure, the surgeons accidentally created a 120 twist in the small bowel mesentery. As a result of this twist in client's bowel, he suffered from an extensive leak at the ileoanal pouch-anal anastomosis. Client ultimately died from complications. This case settled for $375,000.00.

Patient Receives Narcotics Overdose Due to Improperly Set Alarm on Pulse Oximeter
Our client was admitted to the hospital for heart surgery. In recovery, the client was administered excessive narcotics. The failure to discover the narcotic overdose sooner was a consequence of an alarm not being properly set on a pulse oximeter. Our client suffered an extended hospital stay. The case settled for $165,000.00.

Women Undergoes Unnecessary Cervical Cancer After Doctors Fail to Perform LEEP Procedure
Our client underwent a hysterectomy for cervical cancer and believed that it could have been avoided had a LEEP procedure been done a year prior to this surgery. After reviewing her medical records, Rosen Louik & Perry lawyers secured a pathologist to support the claim. After complex and thorough pathology depositions, the case settled for $600,000.00.

Doctor Fails to Diagnose Early Signs of Bladder Cancer
The doctor failed to diagnose early signs of cancer of the bladder in this client. Fortunately our client suffered no long-term consequences as a result of the delay. The case settled for $300,000.00.

Doctor Damages Posterior Neurovascular Bundle of Patient's Left Extremity during Arthroscopic Surgery
Our client suffered injuries after undergoing knee surgery. The doctor who performed the arthroscopic surgery and osteotomy of client's left knee caused damage to the arteries and veins surrounding the knee, resulting in damages to the posterior tibial neurovascular bundle of the client's left lower extremity. These injuries resulted in limitation of movement in client's left knee. The case settled for $200,000.00.

Patient Requires Hip Replacement After Doctors Ignore Symptoms
Rosen Louik & Perry's client has ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease that affects the large intestine and rectum, and was being treated with Prednisone in an effort to control his disease. Prednisone is a helpful but dangerous drug requiring vigilant clinical monitoring. The client developed early symptoms of avascular necrosis, death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply, of the hips. His physicians ignored the symptoms and made no medication adjustments thereby causing complete destruction of the hip and need for a hip replacement. This case settled for $975,000.00 after three days of trial.

Negligent Administration of Drugs and Failure to Treat Symptoms Leave Patient Paraplegic
Our client, a 78-year old woman, presented to a hospital for a total hip replacement. Client was prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as well as an anti-coagulant medication, Lovenox. However, despite written warnings of the possibility of spinal hematoma with the use of Levenox in conjunction with spinal anesthesia and the further increased risk of a hematoma when steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are present, doctors proceeded with the administration of the medications and anesthesia. Upon beginning physical therapy, client's motor functioning severely decreased but doctors and nurses ignored the client's symptoms. Eventually doctors discovered a subdural spinal bleed. The negligent administration of the combination of these drugs and anesthesia and the failure to promptly diagnose and treat symptoms left client paraplegic. A trial jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of the client, awarding her $ 3,500,000.00 in damages.

Failure to Intubate Patient Results in Death
Client was a life-long asthma sufferer and presented to a local emergency room, accompanied by his wife, with an acute asthma attack. Client was started on a breathing treatment but complained that it was not working. His wife begged for help three separate times, but a physician never appeared. A doctor finally appeared but did nothing. Client should have been intubated. Fifty minutes after being seen by the emergency room doctor, the client died. The case settled for $ 1,860,000.00.

Doctor Injures Common Bile Duct during Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
Rosen Louik & Perry's 83-year old client went into the hospital complaining of abdominal pain after having a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, gallbladder surgery, done. Upon evaluation, the client was diagnosed with abdominal wall cellulitis and bilious drainage from her umbilicus. During the laparoscopic cholecystectomy the surgeon injured the common bile duct causing caustic bile to invade the subcutaneous tissue above the omentum. During a post-op admission, the surgeon performed a bedside procedure designed to cover up the initial error. After consulting five different experts who could not solve the mystery, the lawyers at Rosen Louik & Perry forensically determined what had been done and were able to file a malpractice claim. Following the doctor's deposition, the case settled for policy limits of $1,200,000.00.

Failure to Diagnose Hemorrhage Results in Death
While in recovery from a heart catheterization surgery, client's neurological and left side motor functioning began to decline. Doctors immediately administered Heparin to the client. Client underwent a CT scan of her head, but doctors interpreted it as not indicative of a hemorrhagic conversion and allowed her Heparin treatment to continue. Client's neurological and motor functioning ultimately declined rapidly, and doctors finally stopped administering client Heparin. A further CT scan showed client to have a massive bleed in her brain. Client's intracranial hemorrhage was so extensive that life support ultimately was removed and client expired shortly after. Doctors' misinterpretation of the original CT scan and continued administration of Heparin before a CT scan was performed and hemorrhage ruled out ultimately led to client's massive brain hemorrhage and subsequent death. The case settled for $265,000.00.

Patient Falls and Dies Due to Negligence of Hospital Staff
After recovering from a stroke in a skilled nursing facility, 82-year old client was listed as a high risk for falls, and client's family signed an authorization that enabled caregivers to use physical restraints so as to prevent client from suffering a fall. However, during client's stay at the facility, these directions were ignored by hospital staff and employees and client frequently was moving from his bed without assistance. The client fell out of bed while in the hospital and hit his head, resulting in an acute subdural hematoma. Client ultimately lapsed into a coma and died a short time after. This case settled for $300,000.00.

Patient Dies after Symptoms Ignored By Hospital Staff
Rosen Louik & Perry's client developed necrotizing fasciitis, a soft tissue infection that is rare, but a very severe type of bacterial infection that can destroy the muscles, skin, and underlying tissue, that originated in the client's left leg. Client presented to the emergency room but was discharged from the hospital because the symptoms were not taken seriously by the hospital staff. Client ultimately died from the infection. This case settled for $500,000.00.

Laboratory Negligence Leads to Misdiagnosis of Prostate Cancer and Needless Surgery
Following an elevated prostate specific antigen ("PSA") test, Rosen Louik & Perry's client was advised to have a biopsy of his prostate. Client followed the doctor's recommendations and submitted to a stereotactic biopsy of his prostate. The tissue was removed by the local hospital and sent to a national laboratory for processing and pathology interpretation. The sample was reported as showing high grade carcinoma in situ requiring removal of the prostate. Unfortunately, client suffered known surgical complications of erectile dysfunction and incontinence. When the prostate was sent to pathology, no cancer was found. Client turned to Rosen Louik & Perry for answers. Rosen Louik & Perry lawyers were able to discover that a technician at the national laboratory had, due to carelessness, switched client's slides with the slides from another client. The national laboratory denied the mix-up and forced the case to trial. Following a seven-day trial, a jury awarded client $4,500,000 and his wife $1,000,000 on her consortium claim.

Delay in Diagnosis of Femoral Neck Fracture Results in Constant Pain and Nonfunctional Hip
Client presented to his family physician with a chief complaint of pain his left hip. The doctor prescribed pain medications and sent the client home blaming the pain on a running injury. However, client's pain his hip continued and eventually radiated through his leg and knee. Despite the continuing symptoms, client's doctors misdiagnosed what was a left femoral neck fracture for 6 months, instead sending client to physical therapy, which aggravated the fracture. This delay in diagnosis left client with constant pain and a nonfunctional hip. This case settled for $650,000.00.

Negligence of Nurse Causes Cardiac Tamponade
Our expert doctor believed the client developed cardiac tamponade, a compression of the heart that occurs when blood or fluid builds up in the space between the myocardium (the muscle of the heart) and the pericardium (the outer covering sac of the heart), because the client's mediastinal chest tube became obstructed. This can happen following open-heart surgery and can be difficult to detect. A frequent sign heralding tubal obstruction was seen in this client's case: that is to say, an abrupt fall in the amount of blood draining via the chest tube. The nurse monitoring the client failed to recognize this extreme drop thereby failing to adhere to the standard of care. This case settled for $970,000.00.

Patient Enters Coma after Receiving Wrong Medication
An error by a hospital pharmacist caused this client to receive the wrong medication, leaving the client in a coma for 20 hours from which client fully recovered. The case settled for $100,000.00.

Delayed Testing of Bladder Cancer Leads to Death
After presenting to a hospital multiple times complaining of frequent urination and blood in his urine, there was over a one year delay in client's doctors performing any diagnostic tests for his condition. As a result of this delay, client's invasive bladder cancer went undiagnosed and ultimately metastasized to various parts of client's body, causing his death. This case settled for $460,000.00.

Lung Cancer Metastasizes Due to Delayed Treatment of Lung Nodules
Our client suffered from a right inguinal hernia and underwent a right inguinal hernia repair. As part of standard pre-operative testing, client underwent a chest x-ray. The x-ray was appropriately interpreted as demonstrating lung nodules that had increased in size from previous films. The radiologist suspected malignancy and recommended additional imaging and clinical correlation. Unfortunately, client was transferred to another hospital and the x-ray report was never acted upon by a physician. Two years later, this 77-year old client was diagnosed with incurable non-small cell lung cancer that, in the opinion of our experts, had metastasized because of the delay. The case settled for $975,000.00

Client Suffers Stroke after Being Taken off Necessary Medication
Due to regular incidents of atrial fibrillation (an irregular heartbeat), this client was prescribed Coumadin to prevent cardioembolic complications (strokes) frequently experienced by those suffering from atrial fibrillation. Client's cardiologist recommended that client remain on the anti-coagulation therapy. Nevertheless, client's regular physician removed her from the blood thinner. As a result, client suffered a stroke and was left with minor neurological deficits. This case settled for $327,500.00.

Excessive Fluid Administration Results in Permanent Brain Damage
Our client was admitted into the hospital to have an outpatient surgery done on her right ear. Client was having what is commonly known as tubes placed in her ears. After the surgery and while in the recovery room, the client began to vomit causing her admission into the hospital overnight for monitoring. No physician ordered or authorized nursing staff to administer client fluids, but the client continued receiving them at an excessive rate. Soon client fell into coma from the swelling of her brain as a result of the excessive amount of fluids she was administered. Client now suffers from permanent brain damage and continues to suffer from severe neurologic deficits, motor control deficits and cognitive deficiencies. Client is mainstreamed in school but has residual mental and physical deficiencies. This case settled for $7,000,000.00.

Prostate Cancer Spreads to Skeletal System Due to Delay in Diagnosis
Client's doctors failed to both perform regular prostate exams and inform client that he needed to receive them. As a result, client suffered a delay in the diagnosis of prostate cancer that metastasized and spread to his skeletal system. Defendants argued through expert opinions that the delay in diagnosing and treating made no material difference in the patient's outcome. The case settled for $350,000.00.

Patient Succumbs to Cancer After Doctors Fail to Diagnose Tumor
The client, a long-term tobacco user, presented to his doctor complaining of a sore throat and change in voice. After undergoing a physical examination and CT scan, client's doctor interpreted the lesion in client's neck as clinically benign. Soon after, client presented to the emergency room exhibiting signs of progressive airway compromise and was found to have a near-total airway obstruction caused by a large laryngeal mass within client's throat. Due to the delay in diagnosis, this massive supraglottal tumor ultimately metastasized and despite radical surgery and chemotherapy, client succumbed to the cancer. The case settled for $250,000.00.

Patient Undergoes Unnecessary Mastectomy after Being Misdiagnosed with Breast Cancer
A doctor's misinterpretation of a breast biopsy caused this client to be misdiagnosed with a recurrent infiltrating lobular carcinoma within the client's right breast. The treatment for this radical cancer was total mastectomy which this 68-year old client agreed to have performed. When the removed breast was sent to pathology, pathologists determined that client had no cancer in her removed breast. Thus, client was forced to undergo an unnecessary total mastectomy of her right breast. Discovery revealed that a pathologist had switched client's slides with the slides of a woman who did have breast cancer. This case settled for $850,000.00.

Patient Dies of Gastrointestinal Bleeding Due to Delayed Blood Transfusion
Our client presented to the emergency room after experiencing continued rectal bleeding. While in the hospital, the client's hemoglobin progressively declined, indicative of an internal bleed that required blood transfusions which were ordered. The hospital blood bank contacted a regional blood bank and were told the bank needed to find the correct blood for the client and would have it delivered in about 6 hours. However, a series of miscommunications at the hospital left doctors and nursing staff unaware of this message and the client continued to internally bleed during this time. The client ultimately went into hypovolemic shock caused by her gastrointestinal bleed and died as a result. She was 74 at the time of her death. This case settled for $650,000.00.

Negligent Removal of Portions of Temporal Lobe Negatively Affects Patient's Speech, Memory and Cognitive Functions
Client suffered from epileptic seizures occurring since childhood. Under the belief that the seizures were originating in client's left temporal lobe, doctors surgically implanted electrodes into client's brain to confirm the seizures' precise location. However, after the surgery, a nurse accidentally cut the wire leads to the electrodes that had been implanted, leaving doctors with only a small observation window to determine the location of the seizures. As a result, doctors pre-maturely removed portions of client's temporal lobe. After the surgery, client's seizures continued. Moreover, the portions of the client's brain that were removed affected her speech, memory and cognitive function due to doctors negligently removing these portions of the brain without verifying whether those areas controlled vital functions such as speech, language and cognitive skills. This case settled for $1,775,000.00.

Lobectomy Leads to Ischemic Injury and Eventual Death
The client suffered an ischemic injury to his right leg following a lobectomy for adenocarcinoma of the left lung. The client had pain the leg at all times and took opiate medications several times a day to alleviate the discomfort. The right foot was discolored, and the client had chronic edema about the ankle, suffered disturbing paresthesias ("pins and needles" sensation) in the leg at all times, and had a persistent right foot drop. Unfortunately, the client perished as a result of his cancer 16 months after his lobectomy. This case settled for $160,000.00.

Failure to Recognize Congenital Heart Defect Symptoms Results in Cardiac Arrest
Client was born with congenital heart defects that were recognized and some where corrected with surgery. Not all of the defects could be corrected and client required regular monitoring. From birth through her teenage years, client underwent annual tests that consistently revealed a congenital defect with the electrical system of Alana's heart. However, client remained asymptomatic from a cardiac perspective. Following the retirement of her pediatrician, our client came under the care of two new cardiac doctors. These doctors examined client annually but failed to recognize that the various test results revealed different conditions that showed that client was, in fact, exhibiting physical symptoms of her congenital defect. On August 12, 2001, one month after her last annual evaluation, client suffered a catastrophic cardiac arrest. Although she was eventually resuscitated our client suffered an anoxic brain injury that left her in totally dependent state. The lawyers at Rosen Louik & Perry were able to prove that the cardiologists were negligent and the case resolved for $3,600,000.

Patient Permanently Paralyzed Due to Delay in Diagnosis
This client, age 64, presented to her physician with a history of soft tissue infection and pain her back, was diagnosed as suffering from bilateral axillary abscesses which were drained during a minor surgical procedure. However, in the day following this procedure client began to experience progressive symptoms of paralysis. No neurological tests were performed until after client was paralyzed for over 12 hours. It was later discovered that client had an epidural lesion around the spinal cord, from which she has remained permanently paralyzed due to the delay in diagnosis. Rosen Louik & Perry lawyers were able to prove through deposition testimony that the resident (or student) doctors who rounded on client in the post-op period had not been adequately trained. This case settled for $3,900,000.00.

Failure to Review Fetal Monitoring Strips Results in Severe Cerebral Palsy
Rosen Louik & Perry was contacted seventeen years after client's birth by client's mother. Over the years, five different law firms had reviewed client's case but all had declined to pursue an action on client's behalf. Rosen Louik & Perry obtained client's medical records including the original fetal monitoring strips that had never been reviewed. Based on those fetal monitoring strips, Rosen Louik & Perry commenced an action against the obstetrician as well as the hospital responsible for client's delivery. Although more than 17 years had passed since the negligence occurred, the action was still viable under Pennsylvania's Minor Tolling Statute. Client had severe cerebral palsy and her mother raised her with little financial assistance but managed to graduate client from high school. Weeks before trial, this case settled for $4,070,000.00

Failure to Remove Surgical Sponge Causes Recurring Sinus Problems
While undergoing surgery for resection of a pituitary adenoma and repair of CSF leak, two pieces of surgical sponge were left in the nose of this client. The delay in recognizing and removing the sponges caused client to suffer from recurring sinus problems. The case settled for $175,000.00.

Failure to Promptly Treat Patient After Surgery Leads to Permanent Anoxic Brain Damage
After having their case rejected by two other law firms, clients brought their dilemma to Rosen Louik & Perry. Our 60-year old client underwent gastric bypass surgery for a difficult acid reflux condition because both medicine and Nissan Fundoplication had failed to alleviate client's symptoms. A doctor attempted to perform the surgery laparoscopically, but wasn't able to do it due to the scar tissue from the Nissan Fundoplication, so the surgery was performed as an open procedure. The surgery was successfully completed. During the post-op period, client had difficulty breathing. Client's pulse oximetry decreased over time and his tachycardia increased. Doctors failed to thoroughly investigate the client's gradual respiratory embarrassment so client's wife summoned doctors to client's bedside. The resident (or student) doctor refused to transfer client to the intensive care unit and did nothing to address client's respiratory problems. As a result, the client proceeded to respiratory arrest and was left with permanent anoxic brain damage. This case settled for $7,775,000.00.

Child Suffers Permanent Neurological Deficit after Administration of Excessive Sodium
A pharmacist at a hospital made a ten-fold error in the quantity of sodium added to an intravenous solution administered to a nineteen month old child. This error caused the client to suffer an iatrogenic hypernatremia and permanent neurological deficits. Defendants argued that client's underlying disease had already rendered her neurologically disabled so that this pharmacy error caused no significant damage. This case settled for $275,000.00 and the money was put in trust and used to better the life of the child.

Improper Placement of Biopsy Needle Causes Massive Hemorrhage and Eventual Death
This client suffered from a massive hemorrhage following a biopsy of the client's left kidney. Doctors in this case both improperly placed the biopsy needle and placed the needle through the client's entire kidney, causing the client to bleed out and die immediately following the biopsy. This case settled for $450,000.00.

Doctors Fail to Diagnose Neurofibroma
Doctors failed to diagnose this client with neurofibroma, a benign nerve sheath tumor in the peripheral nervous system. Defendants contended that the diagnosis was subtle and would not have been made by a reasonably prudent physician. Defendants further alleged that the client's problems were caused by the disease process and not the delay in diagnosis. The case settled for $950,000.00.

Coumadin Overdose Results in Hemorrhagic Stroke and Permanent Mental Disabilities
Our client was on Coumadin after a heart valve surgery. Doctors did not properly monitor the client after he presented to the hospital with continued bleeding from a venipuncture site and was not diagnosed as suffering from a Coumadin overdose until he suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. Client was left with severe mental disabilities and required daily assistance. The case settled for $2,400,000.00.

Ophthalmologist Damages Patient's Eye during Cataract Surgery Causing Significant Vision Loss
This case involves an elderly client, who had long been blind in the left eye, who lost significant vision in the right eye following a cataract surgery. The client contended that the treating ophthalmologist damaged the right eye during the surgery and failed to manage post-operative intraocular hypertension that appeared following surgery thereby permanently damaging the client's right optic nerve. Defendant doctor argued that he met the standard of care during his cataract surgery. This case settled for $350,000.00.

Failure to Investigate Bleeding Leads to Significant Brain Damage
After undergoing open-heart surgery, this 75-year old client was to be monitored by treating physicians and nursing staff to ensure his vital signs and cardiac profiles remained stable. During his post-operative recovery, however, client was found to suffer a bleed in the heart, which a resident physician was able to suction off. Sadly, doctors and nursing staff made no attempt to find the cause to client's bleed. Soon after, client again began to exhibit symptoms of cardiac compromise. Client ultimately went into cardiopulmonary arrest and sustained significant anoxic brain damage as a result. Had client's care givers properly and timely monitored his condition, recognized the ominous signs of his impending cardiac arrest and promptly provided the necessary care to divert the arrest, client would have avoided this permanent injury and lived another 4-7 years. The case settled for $1,000,000.00.

Failure to Properly Monitor Patient Results in Respiratory Arrest and Death
Our client, 51-years old, was in very bad health and was dependent on mechanical ventilation for breathing, presented to a hospital for high temperature and symptoms of infection. During client's stay in the hospital, nursing staff realized that when client positioned her bed at a 90 degree angle client's ventilator was in danger of being disconnected and the bed required repositioning. However, doctors and nursing staff failed to properly monitor client, and the ventilator indeed became disconnected, causing client to suffer respiratory arrest and die a short time later. The case settled for $300,000.00.

Patient Suffers From Pain and Leg Weakness Due to Improperly Placed Pedicle Screws
This client underwent surgery to alleviate chronic leg pain involving the placement of screws into the pedicles of client's spine. After the procedure, neurophysical monitoring was done to ensure the pedicle screws were properly placed. However, due to a technician's misreading of the monitoring data, it was determined that the screws were properly placed, when in fact they had not been. As a result, client's condition was exacerbated, causing client to develop new pain and leg weakness. Defendant contended that all of client's pain was caused by the underlying condition. This case settled for $250,000.00.

Patient Dies Following Cardiopulmonary Arrest Due to Malpositioned Duodenal Feeding Tube
This client, a 73-year-old man, died following a cardiopulmonary arrest caused by aspiration triggered by a malpositioned duodenal feeding tube, which had looped back upon itself and lodged within the patient's esophagus. Unfortunately, doctors and nurses responsible for client's medical care failed to check the tube's position (despite being told to do so) before they authorized its use. This resulted in the spillage of the patient's enteric feeds into his upper airway, precipitating his cardiopulmonary arrest and anoxic brain damage. At the time of the arrest, anesthesiologists discovered a large bolus of feedings within the patient's upper airway. Despite intervention, client died a short time later. This case settled for $400,000.00.

Doctor Mistakenly Places Right Femoral Component in Patient's Left Knee
The client mistakenly had a right femoral component placed into the left knee by the treating physician. Unfortunately, the incorrect orthotic reduced the client's range of motion. Doctors recommended that the component be left in place because it was functioning relatively well. The case settled for $200,000.00.

Patient Suffers Ankle Fracture After Surgeon Fails to Immobilize Ankle Following Surgery
The client in this case sustained a left ankle fracture that required surgery to correct. However, client's orthopedic surgeon failed to immobilize client's ankle after the surgery, causing the client to lose the fracture reduction, requiring a second surgery. Client's physician also failed to recognize and treat a deep wound infection that had developed in client's ankle subsequent to her surgery, which led client to contract MRSA. The client required an additional surgery to correct the damage to her ankle. This case settled for $350,000.00.

Hospital Staff Accidentally Leave Five Surgical Sponges in Patient Causing Severe Infection
Five 3" by 4" surgical sponges were left in this client's stomach while undergoing a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Due to a miscount by operating room nurses, the egregious mistake went unnoted until the client developed a severe infection as a result of the sponges. The client required a second surgery in order to remove the surgical sponges. This case settled for $170,000.00.

Woman Suffers Stroke after Doctors Delay Treatment of Right Vertebral Artery Dissection
This client, a 26 year old woman, experienced a brainstem stroke caused by a right vertebral artery dissection that client's hospital doctors recognized but failed to treat. Client presented to the emergency room complaining of a several-hour history of dysesthesias and mild weakness involving the left side of her body. However, doctors withheld diagnostic testing until the following morning, and the client ultimately suffered a stroke during the delay. Client was left with minor left-sided weakness. This case settled for $495,000.00.

Patient Suffers Severe Burns While Undergoing ENT Surgery
This client suffered severe burns on client's tongue and upper palate during an Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT) surgery to client's neck. As a result of the burns, client lost taste buds on client's tongue and suffers pain when eating hot and cold food. This case settled for $100,000.00.

Doctor Mistakenly Removes Piece of Ureter during Total Abdominal Hysterectomy
This is a client who had a 4cm piece of the left ureter mistakenly removed while client's surgeon was removing lymph nodes as part of a total abdominal hysterectomy and lymph node dissection for endometrial carcinoma. The client required a major reconstructive surgery to correct the defect and will require monitoring throughout the rest of the client's life. This case settled for $500,000.00.

$1.2 Million Settlement for Cancer Misdiagnosis in Pittsburgh
Failure to diagnose lung cancer results in patient's death. Client's family awarded $1.2 million.

Pfaff vs. Dianon Systems and Barbara A. Russo
Pathology mistake leads to unnecessary prostate removal and side effects. Client awarded $4.5 million.

Audrey Stresky vs. David P. Fowler, East Suburban Orthopedic Associates, Forbes Regional Hospital and David S. Girdany
Total hip replacement and ill-advised medication ends in paralysis for client. Jury awarded client $3.5 million in damages.

Failure to Monitor | Failure to Treat | Post-Operative Care
Client suffers paralysis after failure to treat subdural hematoma. Jury found hospital at fault for treatment delay and client was awarded $3.5 million.

Colon cancer judgement a real test case
$5 million awarded after client developed colon cancer when doctor failed to offer routing screening.

$12.8 Million Jury Award for Breast Cancer Patient
Client sues physicians for failing to diagnose her breast cancer, which spread to her liver.Jury awarded client $12.8 million.

Bungled Pap Test Brings Big Verdict
Failure to diagnose cervical cancer leads to hysterectomy. Client awarded $1.25 million by jury.

Children's Hospital settles suit in paralysis
Post-Operative accident leads to paralysis in 4 year-old patient. Hospital settled suit for undisclosed amount.

Citizens General resolves lawsuit. Woman claimed stroke symptoms misdiagnosed
Failure to diagnose pre-stroke symptoms results in stroke for woman sent home from emergency room with cough syrup. Client received undisclosed settlement.

How can We Help?

How Can We Help? Contact Our Office Today At 800-440-5297 Or Fill Out The Form Below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Rosen Louik & Perry, P.C.
437 Grant Street Suite 200, The Frick Building
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone: 412-906-8102
Fax: 412-281-2997
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

There is NO FEE unless recovery is made.

Rosen Louik Perry, P.C. Pittsburgh
412-906-8102 1-800-440-5297