Doctors have a professional obligation to care for their patients. They are human, however, and can make mistakes. Common medical examples include:
- Surgical errors like wrong site surgery or scarring
- Implant malfunction due to improper implementation
- Not ensuring an implant worked properly during surgery
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death
Lapses in judgment
Sometimes it is not the surgery results that are the issue. Doctors or organizations may exhibit lapses in judgment or some form of misconduct. These include:
- Posting unauthorized photos online of the patient having surgery
- Posting unauthorized nude photos online of the patient
- Strange behavior during the procedure, such as dancing in the operating room
Speak with an attorney
A personal injury attorney with experience handling medical malpractice suits can be a tremendous asset as victims go through the process of filing lawsuit. Most medical malpractice lawsuits involve compensation for expenses surrounding the injury, lost income due to missing work and potential future impact of medical costs.
How much this amounts to will be based on the circumstances of the dispute and the extent of the injury. As is the case with all personal injury suits, attorneys do not charge clients and only get paid when damages are awarded or the case is settled.