According to the AAA Mid-Atlantic Report, the number of motorcycle accidents has increased over 70 percent in the last five years and have tripled over the last decade. This recent increase in motorcycle accidents is due, in part, to an increase in motorcycle riders. According to the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, older motorcycle riders (40 and over) now account for about half of all motorcycle fatalities. NHTSA data shows that in 2005, 47 percent of motorcycle riders killed in crashes were age 40 or over, compared with 25 percent ten years earlier.
The Insurance Information Institutes published statistics in 2005 regarding motorcycle accidents:
- In 2005, 4,553 people died in motorcycle crashes, up 13.0 percent from 4,028 in 2004. The 13 percent increase was the largest annual increase since 1977.
- Motorcycle crash fatalities have increased for eight years in a row.
- 5.8 million motorcycles were on U.S. roads in 2004, compared with 133.3 million passenger cars.
- Motorcycles accounted for 2.4 percent of all registered motor vehicles and 0.3 percent of vehicle miles traveled in 2004.
- Approximately 88,000 motorcycles were involved in crashes in 2004.
- Motorcyclists were 34 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash in 2005, per vehicle mile traveled, and 8 times more likely to be injured.
Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can be life threatening-even fatal. Some of those injuries include:
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Helmet injuries
- Neck injuries
- Road rash
- Severed limbs
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligence of someone driving a car or another type of motor vehicle, please call the Pittsburgh personal injury law firm of Rosen Louik & Perry Our personal injury lawyers have successfully represented motorcyclists who were injured while riding a motorcycle. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, contact Rosen Louik & Perry to set up your FREE, no obligation consultation. We will protect your rights and do our best to obtain for you the maximum recovery possible for your injuries.
Crash Kills Biker, Trooper Motorists Injured in Route to Scene, post-gazette.com, April 25, 2007